Thursday, May 1, 2014

Skin Secrets: Taking Your Makeup Off







So far we've talked about makeup and how to put it on, but what about the end of the day when your mascara is smudging, your eyeliner is fading and you want a fresh clean face? Its time to take that makeup off! I've tried many a' products to figure out what works best for my skin and while I do think these specific products are awesome they may not work with your skin as well as they do with mine. Its alot of trial and error when figuring out whats best for your skin, but hopefully this will help point you in the right direction.






To begin with is it even that important to take your makeup off? Most people would say "YES never ever go to bed with makeup on", but I say its only really important if you wear a full face of makeup. If you just have a bit of mascara on then I don't think it will be a huge deal if you forget to take it off. But if you're loading up on foundation, blush, eyeliner etc then you better be taking it off or else your skin will be angry, angry at you. It needs that time at night to breathe and rejuvenate itself and it can't do that when your pores are blocked by makeup. So without further ado, here is my makeup removing routine.

I always start with my eye makeup because liner and mascara can sometimes be hard to get off and they make a mess all over the rest of my face. My favorite thing I've ever used for this is the Mac Cleanse Off Oil but its like $32 for a bottle so right now I'm using the Sephora 2 in 1 Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover Gel.($12) I put a pump on a cotton round and use one round for each eye. I'm not a huge fan of this stuff, it makes my eyes dry I think but I'll finish it up and then maybe switch back to a cleanse off oil because I for sure like those better. I just bought one from the drugstore and after I test it out I'll let you all know how it is! It was under six bucks also!


Then I splash my face with warm water to break up all my face makeup. Next I use a tiny bit of the First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser ($20) and work up a bit of a lather on my face. I love this stuff because all you need is a tiny bit, it removes ALL my makeup in one shot and its not super expensive. The bottle I have is about half gone and I think I've had it over two months now.


Another great cleanser type product is the Philosophy Purity Made Simple One-Step Facial Cleanser ($23). You do get more product in this bottle but I also feel like you have to use more to get your face all the way clean. Personally I like the First Aid Beauty one better but they are both great cleansers.

Next up I use my Clarisonic all over my face. I was on the fence about getting this because it is SO expensive ($150) but I love how it makes my skin feel, it cleanses my face completely and helps my makeup go on smoother. I could do a whole other blog post on this product. Is in NEEDED for everyone? I don't think so, but I do love mine. So if you don't have one then just clean your face with your hands or a washcloth, making sure to wash all the makeup away.




After all the makeup is washed off then you can either use a toner if you feel like you need one or just towel dry your face. I go back and forth with toners, I'm not sure if they are needed or not. I mean yes, you should balance your PH levels and all that but I don't know, I've never noticed a huge difference if I use one or don't use one and its just another added step that usually I don't feel like taking.

One step I NEVER skip is moisturizing. I've been using the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti Wrinkle Cream ($14) for almost a month now at night and I think its AWESOME. I wake up with soft skin every morning and it doesn't break me out! Win!


An eye cream is important as well as we start to age but I'm still experimenting trying to figure out one that I like. 

Once a week I like to do a mask of some sort and right now I'm loving the Origins Clear Improvement Charcoal Mask ($24). It is supposed to pull all the toxins out of your skin but I like it because it just makes my skin feel really good.


And that's about it! I try to keep my skin routine short and sweet because at the end of the day all I want to do is crawl into a cozy bed, not spend a half hour in the bathroom.
Any questions? Any tips you have or products you love? Let me know!






No comments:

Post a Comment