Monday, March 10, 2014

MakeupBag: Types of Eyeliner : What Kind of Eyeliner Is the Best?

There's so much to be said about eyeliner but lets start with the eyeliner itself.
You're in the store, in the makeup section and you need some eyeliner. So. Many. Choices.
First off, there are about ten different brands in the drugstore alone, then each of those brands carry different types and colors of eyeliners. Maybelline, Cover Girl, Loreal, NYX, Wet and Wild, Kohl, Pencil, Gel, brown, black, blue, purple. 
It can be extremely overwhelming and you'll probably get the wrong thing unless you know exactly what you want. 
Lets break it down.
The main kinds of eyeliner are gel, liquid and pencil. All of them are great for different things. 

-GEL-

I used to use gel eyeliner for YEARS. Its long wearing, which is awesome BUT it takes a long time to get 
"just right". I look back at pictures now and think "man, I overdid it." It comes in a little pot and you need an eyeliner brush to apply it. 

-LIQUID-
If you want an quick and easy eyeliner to apply do not pick this one. When I first started getting into makeup this was the eyeliner I choose and it was a terrible choice. Until you really get the hang of it, it is SO HARD to apply. It does create a beautiful dark line that stays put but its messy until you become a pro.
 I say no to liquid liner.

-PENCIL-
(mechanical and regular)



The first picture is a kohl pencil, this one you will have to sharpen and it has a very creamy texture. It is awesome for the waterline (little flap of skin under the eye). Its also great for creating a sexy smoky look at the top of the lashline and awesome for when you're in a rush and you just want to smudge a bit of eyeliner on your top lid to make you look more awake. Honestly, I haven't found an awesome drugstore version of this eyeliner, I love the Mac Kohl pencils and the Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliners (both around $20).
The second is the most basic kind of eyeliner. The mechanical pencil kind. No need to sharpen this guy, he stays nice and pointy. I'm not a huge fan of this kind of eyeliner because it doesn't create a strong line. Again its good if you're rushing around and need to quickly throw something on but that's about it.

So which one should you get? 

None of them.

Get this baby instead and you will thank me later.
This guy is what all the other ones are not. Its considered a liquid liner but instead of that annoying tiny little brush tip it has a felt tip which is so much easier to work with.
You can see from the picture that its a nice thick to thin felt tip that creates a beautiful thick or thin line depending on how you hold it. It lasts all day, is extremely pigmented and is just perfect for everyday use. I have bought so many of these over the years and I'd say one usually lasts about three months or so before it dries out. Another great thing? Its around seven bucks depending on where you get it.




There will be a post soon with details and pictures on how I apply this liner along with tips and tricks on how to make it look great. Now that we've got the types of liner out of the way next time we'll talk color as well as application. 
Any questions or comments? Leave 'em below. 



1 comment:

  1. You must have found this after you gave me my makeup kit cuz this is not in my kit. I guess I'll have to get one.

    ReplyDelete