Friday, April 25, 2014

HairDon'ts: For Your Hair Health



Since I'm a hairdresser I talk to people all the time about their hair and one thing I am constantly being amazed at is the fact that people do not know how to take care of their hair. I can't tell you how many times I've told a girl something she should or shouldn't do to her hair and she's acted surprised. In my head these things are common knowledge but clearly the world needs help when it comes to hair care. So here is a list of the top ten things NOT to do to your poor hair.


  • 1. Don't brush your hair when it's wet! Never ever. Hair is at its most fragile state when its wet so if you're tearing a brush through it all you're doing is breaking it and making it weak. Instead use a wide tooth comb and start at the bottom, working your way up to get rid of the tangles. 

  • 2. Do not put your hair up when its wet. This goes right along with the fact that its fragile so if you're pulling it up into a ponytail or braiding it very tightly its going to break off. Especially if you do it all the time. I mean once in awhile in an emergency is fine (I won't be the hair police and show up at your door and yell at you(or will I?)) but don't make a habit of it. 

  • 3. NEVER heat style your hair without first using a heat protectant. If you are blow drying or flat ironing or curling your hair and you don't put anything in it to protect it all that heat is going directly onto your hair and frying it. Putting a heat protectant on first is going to protect it from the heat. (obviously) 

  • 4. Don't skip the conditioner. For some reason people think that if they use a really good shampoo they don't need conditioner. I have no idea where this idea came from but its just crazy. Shampoo strips your hair, conditioner puts the moisture back into it. If you are only stripping your hair and never conditioning it what do you think is going to happen?! Even if you have very fine hair use a small amount of conditioner.

  • 5. And along with number 4- keep that conditioner away from your scalp! Start at the ends of your hair always. Think about it, those ends have been around a whole lot longer then the roots of your hair. The roots are always getting natural oils and are fresh because they are the new growth. The ends are missing the oils produced by your scalp and have been abused by your hot tools, the sun and possibly bleach or hair color. They need to be helped out, so when you apply your conditioner start at the ends and then whatever is leftover in your hands add to the roots. Skip putting any on your roots if you have fine hair or if you get oily easily. Let the conditioner sit in your hair for at least five minutes before you rinse it out. It needs time to work its magic. If you have very long hair comb it through with a wide tooth comb, if its short your fingers will work fine.

  • 6. Washing every day is NOT needed! Remember what I said about those natural oils? Your hair needs that to be healthy. If you are constantly stripping away those oils your hair will be very sad and not as healthy as it could be. If you HAVE to wash every day make sure you are using a very gentle shampoo that is made to be used daily.

  • 7.  Don't think you need to spend tons of money on expensive products! Some drugstore products are amazing and natural products are awesome too. I love using unrefined coconut oil as a hair mask and I have a friend who washes her hair with baking soda and rinses with apple cider vinegar and her hair looks great! My Mom actually does that as well. I love the smell of my shampoo too much to ever go that route but expensive doesn't always mean better. I've tried many high end shampoos and not to many of them live up to their claims. One brand I do think is worth shelling out a bit more cash for is the Moroccan Oil brand. Everything by them is amazing. 

  • 8. Keep away from sulfates when you have color in your hair! Sulfates are what makes shampoo suds up and many companies are now realizing it also strips color from your hair. If you're paying for your hair color pay a little extra for a shampoo that won't destroy it.

  • 9. Try not to heat style every day. Every couple weeks I try to give my hair a break and I don't blow dry it, curl it or flat iron it for a whole week. These are the days I experiment with wearing it up or I try to work with my hairs natural texture. Even when I do heat style I try to wait as long as I can and let it air dry before blow drying it. Less heat=less breakage and split ends.

  • 10. Don't always fight your hairs natural texture! If its curly, figure out a way to wear it where you like the curls. If its straight experiment with how it best looks straight. If its wavy try out different products that will make those waves look awesome. Don't get me wrong, I love flat ironing my hair to make it super sleek or doing big voluminous curls BUT I also know how to work with the natural waves I have.  So many girls tell me they hate their super straight hair and the same number of girls tell me they hate their curls. I think its important to figure out how to love your hair just how it is and the more you can wear it naturally the healthier it will be because you're not using heat on it daily.


Not everyone's hair is the same but I think most people can benefit from these tips! Any of them you've never heard before? Any of them you disagree with? Let me know in the comments down below!




2 comments:

  1. I have a question as opposed to a comment. The coconut oil that you refered to...how do you use it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The unrefined coconut oil comes in a jar and is a white paste kind of texture. I just take a scoop and rub it in my hands until it turns to an oil, then I put it all over my dry hair starting at the ends. I try to leave it in for a few hours and useally have to shampoo twice to get it all out but it def makes my hair smoother and more shiney! Thanks for the question :)

    ReplyDelete